[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Monopoly: another card

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 30 20:13:31 PDT 2011

> From: Brent Kesler [mailto:brent.of.all.people at gmail.com]
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Qov <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
> > And now we have to wait for the rule that explains why this isn't {net
wIv}.
> > I'm pretty sure that it's just an error on Marc's part, because we
> > corrected the same error on the opera libretto. He just doesn`t get
> > the same "nuqjatlh" feeling from the sound of 'e' X-lu' that we do.
>
> Some speculation: while Okrand defines {net} as being used when the
> subject of the verb is "one, someone", the examples given in TKD seem to
> mean "people in general" (eg, qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov). Maybe he avoided
> {net} because "people in general" did not choose the player to join the
yan
> 'ISletlh, but some specific unnamed person. In that case, maybe {'e'
wIvlu'} is
> the way to go. Some more examples of {'e'} and {net} from canon might
> clarify the issue.

He's done it before:

yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
survival must be earned

yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'
victory myst be earned

(TKW 125)

Both of these are talking about people in general, and not a specific,
unnamed person. I see no reason to believe that {'e'} and {net} distinguish
between these. If talking about a specific, unnamed person, I would expect
to see {vay'}.

I often begin a sentence using {'e'}, then by the time I realize the subject
is going to be indefinite, I have to start over with {net}. People on the
list frequently forget about {net} and use {'e' Xlu'}. I believe that Okrand
simply forgot about {net}, and so did the project's proofreaders. And if you
confront him about it, he'll invent a rule explaining why Klingons sometimes
seem to break the rule of {net}.

http://www.trimboli.name/