[Tlhingan-hol] swimming Teddy-bears in Klingon

Terrence Donnelly terrence.donnelly at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 09:10:34 PDT 2011

Well, this is a matter of opinion, but I have really mixed feelings about this. I also meet more Terrans than Klingons, but almost none of them want to talk Klingon, whether the proper words exist or not. Klingon isn't Esperanto, nobody seriously thinks that more "Earth culture" words are going to make the masses want to learn it. And the people I've known who did want to learn it also very much enjoyed the fiction that it was the language of an alien race, with its own culture. I'll grant you that words for types of Klingon animals are virtually useless, but more words for basic concepts (like "swimming") would be nice. Besides, asking what is the Klingon word for "postcard" is like asking what is the English word for "taco". A real Klingon would probably just refer to it as a {poSqarD}.

-- ter'eS