[Tlhingan-hol] village dweller

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 27 06:14:18 PDT 2011

Well, *{venganpu’} (< *vengnganpu’} would be urbanites, CITY dwellers.  *{vengHomnganpu’} would be villagers.  But there’s no reason you can’t write this as two words {vengHom nganpu’}.  We tend to forget that {ngan} “inhabitant” is a perfectly good noun all on its own.  Also, IIRC all the gentilics we’ve seen with the “suffix” form {-ngan} have been with proper names – e.g. {nuralngan} Neuralese – not simple nouns like {veng}, {vengHom}, {yuQ}, {Duj}, etc.

OTOH {vengHom DabwI’pu’} works just as it is.  I would understand that straight away.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons