[Tlhingan-hol] Hoghvam qaSpu' (2011-09-24)

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:20:51 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Qov <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
>> == Heghpu' «tlhobQo' ja'Qo'» ==
>
> Inadvertent hilarity here, as tlhob is more like "ask a favour" than "ask a
> question," so in the context it made me think of a situation where the
> military had ended a policy forbidding commanders to ask for sexual favours.
> I would definitely recommend ghel here.

Yes. I believe <tlhobQo'> is still in effect.

>> Hoghvam jaj cha'DIch,
>
> You know Human weeks start on different days in different countries, right?
> In the US Sunday is the first day of the week, so this would be Monday to
> them, but I think it happened on a Tuesday.

It was Tuesday. Although I'm American, starting the week on Monday
seems pretty standard to me. I'd expect the Federation to adopt that
standard, so I went with it. I didn't occur to me that it might be
confusing in the here-and-now.

>> parmaq SammeH, loD Suqchugh loD, qoj be' Suqchugh be',
>
> Succinctly and clearly put.

Thanks. I was surprised when this sprang fully-grown from my forehead.

>> ngochmo' wa'netlh loSSaD mangpu' mejmoHpu' QI'.
>
> law'qu'!

jIH mumerpu' je!

>> == yemen che'ta' Sale ==
>> DevwI'quv juH'a' HIvpu' gholpu'Daj
>
> juH'a' 'ar?  wa' neH luHIvpu'chugh gholpu' vaj <luHIvpu'>.
> (Guess I'm the lu-police today).

Hoghvam <lu-> vIlo'be'DI', pIj jIQagh. HIvqa' veqlargh!

>>  'ej nachDajDaq rIQchoHpu' Sale.
>
> wot QID yIqel. <Sale nach luQIDpu'.>  Direct seems better to me in Klingon.

maj.

>> rIQHa'meH ghaH
>
> Even though I know what you're going for (to heal the injury) I don't get
> that read at all from rIQHa'. With no context I would assume rIQHa' to mean
> perhaps a botched injury ("mIn'e' Dabach qajapu' jay'! ghIch Dabachpu'!")
>  Why not vor?

I wish I knew about that word. A lot of my time on these stories is
spent thinking of the word I want, looking for it in various sources,
failing to find it, and trying to think of another way to say it.
Sometimes I flip trough the pages hoping I'll just notice a word that
works. I didn't think to try "cure".

I'm building a database to help me make these connections, but it's
not finished yet.

>> vaychoHqa'pu' yemennganpu'
>
> These verbs really come into their own when you are talking about multiple
> conflicts, and can compare their ferocity just by the word choice to
> describe each.

I just wish I had some idea about what level of ferocity these verbs
have in practice. I hope I'm getting it "right". Does <Hargh> work for
the Battle of Stalingrad? Or does it really have to be the End of the
World?

Thanks again for your notes. There's enough here for a second draft.

bI'reng