[Tlhingan-hol] Google Search in Klingon

Lieven Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Sep 23 07:05:51 PDT 2011

I think lojmIt intended to send this to the list. I will answer below.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:18:28 -0400
> Von: lojmIt tI\'wI\'nuv <lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com>
> An: Lieven Litaer <levinius at gmx.de>

> I've heard Okrand repeatedly insist that Klingon has no infinitive.
> Perhaps you can consider it "clipped", though I'm not sure that's appropriate,
> since this is not a battle situation. It belittles the purpose of clipped
> Klingon to clip something that has no actual urgency.
>
> Since most computers in the Star Trek world have verbal interfaces, I'd
> expect menus in software like this to reflect what a person were to say if
> they were speaking to the computer, issuing commands. yIpoS'eghmoH! yImev!
> chu'wI' yIcha'!
>
> pItlh
> lojmIt tI'wI'nuv

Okay, I did not know that. So I will call it "clipped". (btw arabic has no infinitive either, every dictionary contains the third person form, just like in Klingon :-)

But, back to topic:
Wouldn't these commands be like those told to an animal? You say {ba'}, and not {yIba'}. If Klingons regard animals not like real people, I doubt they might be polite to a computer. Is that an argument to use clipped klingon?

Quvar.