[Tlhingan-hol] Hoghvam qaSpu' (2011-09-17)

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:48:53 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh
<qeslagh at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> waw'­'e' ghajbogh {neyto}
>
> Is this a base that NATO held for some reason, or was it a proper NATO
> base? If the latter, maybe just {neyto waw'} is enough. To me {waw''e'
> ghajbogh neyto} sounds like maybe a base that NATO have temporarily or
> something - it's highly marked. It's not wrong to phrase it like that,
> but it strikes me as odd.

That's a good point. It was actually NATO's headquarters in
Afghanistan, but I couldn't figure out how to translate "headquarters"
(waw''a'?). I think I wanted the word NATO to appear at the end of the
phrase so it could introduce the short explanation {tera'Daq QI' boq}.

>> -- tera'Daq QI' boq --
>
> naDev Hat {-Daq}. DIp-DIp mu'tlheghHom chenmoHlu'DI', DIp wa'DIchDaq
> Segh vagh DIp mojaq lulo'lu'be'. yap {tera' QI' boq}.

neyto chenmoHtaH Sepmey puS; Hoch Sepmey ngaSbe' neyto vIja'chu'
vIneH. latlh QI' boqmey tu'lu' je. chaq qaq mu'tlheghvam: {tera'Daq
QI' boq tu'lu'bogh}?

>> Huchnabmo' rewbe'pu' ruptaH qum 'e' ghur 'ej toy'taHmeH 'e' nup.
>
> I think I see what you meant here. Is {'e' nup} also supposed to refer
> back to {rewbe'pu' ruptaH qum}?

Yes, but I think I found a better phrasing in my response to Qov.

> Qov:
>> I'm curious: does your personal English pronunciation of Mediterranean
>> substitute an r for the D sound
>
> I guess it's supposed to represent the dental-flapping one sees in North
> American English. Australian English does it too. I trill Klingon /r/,
> though, and quite strongly, so it's a wee bit disconcerting to see it as
> a replacement for English /d/.

Ah. I lightly trill my Klingon /r/, so it didn't seem that far a stretch for me.

> Dajqu'! vItIv. majQa'.
>
> QeS 'utlh

qatlho'!

bI'reng