[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' cha'maH chorgh

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Sep 19 05:09:16 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
> wej wen qaSpu'DI'. [1]
> [1] Is it clear that from <beq muvpu'DI' Hota'ro'> in 'ay' 27 to
> <"DunISchugh vay' qaHubchu', HoD," jangpu' DeghwI'.> in 'ay' 28 is a
> flashback/recollection. I've bracketed it with time stamps and used the
> perfective like a crazy woman, but it's probably still not clear.

I was expecting the footnote to have something to do with the
weirdness of the sentence fragment it follows. I can guess that you
intend it to modify the {'Ip tlho'laH} of the previous sentence, and
that it might be better stated {qaSpu'DI' wej jar}, but the guess
relies on my expectation of what you meant.

Anyway, to answer your question, it was completely clear to me what
was going on. The rampant perfective colored that part of the
narrative in my mind, very much as if it were slightly sepia-colored
and with fuzzy edges. I don't know how quickly my focus would have
moved from the past mess hall to the present bridge if I hadn't
tripped on the {wej wen qaSpu'DI'} mu'tlheghqoq between them.

-- ghunchu'wI'