[Tlhingan-hol] [tlhIngan-Hol] Hoghvam qaSpu' (2011-09-17)

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Sep 17 17:03:52 PDT 2011

At 16:36 17/09/2011, you wrote:
>wej lutHommey vIgherta'!
>
>reH may'mey vIDel vIneHbe', vaj yurop qummeyvaD qay' Huch 'e' vIDel
>'e' vInID. Qatlhqu'. ghar qummey 'e' vIDel je.

reH Qatlh HuchQeD. not vIHaDta'

>== qabul botlhDaq DoSmey HIv talIban SuvwI'pu' ==
>qabul 'avghanIStanDaq wej DoSmey HIvta' talIban SuvwI'pu': 'amerIqa
>rIvSo', waw'­'e'

bong "-" Dachel'a'? qar <waw''e'>.

>cha' jor'eghwI'pu'.

Well constructed word. Hits harder than the English translation.

>anderS vogh raSmuSen, neyto Qang,
>DevwI'quv HamID qarSay.

If anyone asks me about world politics I'm going
to sound mighty strange trotting out the names of
world leaders in a Klingon accent. "You know, HamID qarSay." :-)

>'ej toy'taHmeH 'e' nup.

Probably an editing slip: this sentence as object
construction lacks a sentence before the 'e'. Is
it <toy'taH 'e' nup> or <toy'taHmeH poH nup>?

>merI'tIrenyen bIQDaq

I'm curious: does your personal English
pronunciation of Mediterranean substitute an r
for the D sound, or is this transliteration
modelled on the pronunciation in another language?

>puSwen

I haven't seen that form before. I probably would have said wen puS.

>ghu'vam par tIrqIy, 'ach DaH lo' 'e' nID,
>HoSDaj DubmeH.

The -meH clause is supposed to precede the clause it modifies.

>'ISlamwI'

'ISlam is a verb now? The counterpart of yID? :-)

>'eSya'

Had to say that one aloud a few times.

Keep it up. I really appreciate these. I think
this one read more smoothly than its
predecessors, or perhaps I'm just getting more
adept with the diplomatic vocabulary. Definitely a weak spot for me.

- Qov.