[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT nahqun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:39:00 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:

>> > <Dr Pepper 'awje'> or <Dr Pepper qo'la' 'awje'>
>>
>> Why would one use the word "cola" to refer to something that is not a
>> cola?
>
> I thought this one was going to be an undefinable matter of opinion, but it
> appears that "In 1963 the United States Fifth District Court in Dallas
> declared that Dr Pepper was not a cola, thus allowing Dr Pepper to expand
> its reach."
>
> So if Klingons are up on their American cola law, I shouldn't call it that.
>

> What's a cola, then? If I asked for a cola of some kind and someone gave me
> a Dr Pepper, I would consider the request satisfied.

A cola is apparently flavored by the kola nut (or artificial versions of it).
Pepsi, Coke, and RC are major cola brands here in the US.

Dr Pepper {Qel 'awje'}, OTOH, is not flavored with the same
ingredients as a cola.
It has a distinctive blend of 23 flavors and is in a category of its own.

Root beer is different from colas which are different from Dr Pepper.

(I'm from Plano, TX where the Dr Pepper offices are located...)

~naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon Translator