[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Oct 31 15:06:56 PDT 2011

At 12:18 31/10/2011, you wrote:
> > bread - tIr ngogh
>
>I wonder if {ngogh} works for something flat like a cracker, or if it
>implies more thickness.

tIr ngogh beQ

> > cola - qo'la' 'awje'
>
>So {'awje'} ends up being used generically for a sweet, carbonated
>beverage. It's still going to be "root beer" by default.

Is Marc from the part of the United States that calls all carbonated
sweetened beverages "Coke"?

>How then
>should we say "Dr Pepper",

<Dr Pepper 'awje'> or <Dr Pepper qo'la' 'awje'>

>or order a diet Coke? I'm tempted to use
>{puj}, though that could be misunderstood as meaning "diluted".

HaQchor ngaSbogh qo'la' 'awje'.

> > rice - ray' tIr
>
>Aw, that interferes with another grain: rye. I suppose I can call it
>{ray tIr} and hope the listener is paying attention. Given the
>pattern, here are a few more I'd expect people to understand, even
>though they're not "official":
>Wheat: {wIt tIr}
>Oats: {'ot tIr}
>Barley: {barlIy tIr}

Sure.

> > toast - tIr ngogh QaD
>
>{QaD} is disappointing. That would describe stale untoasted bread too.

What's the difference?  You could distinguish between ghunbogh tIr
ngogh QaD and ngo'bogh tIr ngogh QaD. They both taste the same.

> > sugar - Su'ghar qutmey
>
>maj. DaH Su'ghar wIqellaH.

My grocery list that day had ghew Su'ghar

> > butter - nIm tlhagh
>
>Now how do we refer to margarine?

mep tlhagh.

> > cucumber - tera' peb'ot
> > orange - tera' na'ran
>
>Oho! {peb'ot} and {na'ran} are specific fruits which Terran cucumbers
>and oranges merely resemble. We get to use the gratuitous "Kefarian
>apples" pattern in the other direction now. :-)
>
>What if I want to distinguish between a cucumber and a zucchini?

The cucumber has a wetter flesh with smaller seeds, and the zucchini
is definitely more squashlike. Are the two considered similar enough
that people sometimes use the same words for them where you come from?

> > cheese - nIm wIb ngogh
> > burger - Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je
>
>Does anyone have any helpful ideas about why {ghIH} is used here?

The meet is all sloppy, no bones, gristle, tendons, veins, just mushed up.