[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 31 13:06:55 PDT 2011

On 10/31/2011 3:18 PM, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh wrote:

>> cola - qo'la' 'awje'
>
> So {'awje'} ends up being used generically for a sweet, carbonated
> beverage. It's still going to be "root beer" by default. How then
> should we say "Dr Pepper", or order a diet Coke? I'm tempted to use
> {puj}, though that could be misunderstood as meaning "diluted".

No, 'awje' is a particular beverage made my Klingons, which only
resembles root beer. Klingons already used 'awje' for "root beer," and
then they encountered cola, so they called it "ehhh.... qo'la' 'awje'."

>> toast - tIr ngogh QaD
>
> {QaD} is disappointing. That would describe stale untoasted bread too.

I think the point of these is being missed by some. These phrases are
the ones recognized by Klingons for things they're not terribly familiar
with. The phrases are obviously imprecise intentionally. Klingons don't
*have* a word for bread, so they use "hindsight words" the same way we
do when we don't have Klingon words for something.

The phrases are going to be clumsy. This is on purpose.

>> cucumber - tera' peb'ot
>> orange - tera' na'ran
>
> Oho! {peb'ot} and {na'ran} are specific fruits which Terran cucumbers
> and oranges merely resemble. We get to use the gratuitous "Kefarian
> apples" pattern in the other direction now. :-)

Exactly. This sort of thing shows up all over the TalkNow! vocabulary,
and it was obviously done intentionally.

>> cheese - nIm wIb ngogh
>
> I can live with the "sour milk" simplification, though there's a lot
> more to cheese than that.

"I'll try some of your replicated burned bird meat."

Basically it means, "Why on Kronos would those crazy Terrans do that to
milk?"

http://www.trimboli.name/