[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Oct 30 02:51:57 PDT 2011

ghItlhta' Qov,
> I hadn't even noticed that, but yeah, the Klingons would totally hear
> it as a -ya' even if it were clearly more -ye' like to you.  You're
> right up there with DenIbya'.

...which I suppose would make ME a slime devil, albeit one HANDSOME slime devil, mind you ;)

ghItlhta' Quvar,
> I do speak turkish a little, and the turk name for the country sounds
> more like *turqIye'*.

Yet another -ya'; I count seven in total among these country names.

==Off-topic==

ghItlhta' Qov,
> I read right by this, trying to remember what exactly Denmark meant,
> thinking, "Doesn't it just mean land of the Danes?" before I parsed
> your words and realized where you were going. Everyone despises their
> neighbours, but why is it Denmark and not Norway or Finland for you guys?

Mainly by convention; they're our arvfiende (or "inherited enemy"). We killed them, they killed us; it's all you could do to pass the time back in the Middle Ages.
This comic explains it all quite succinctly: http://satwcomic.com/nordic-brothers

Naturally, though, nowadays it's mostly for fun; we tease them, they tease us :)
We have a similar thing going on with Norway, although we just accuse each other of being stupid, rather than evil ;)