[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Oct 29 14:33:25 PDT 2011

Many thanks for sharing Marc's notes, qe'San, and for a good job on the naming :)

It's worth noting that New Zealand is far from alone in not getting a name based on an indigenous language. Australia, for example, is derived not from an aboriginal language, but from a Latin word meaning "southern". The Americas were apparently named for an Italian explorer named Amerigo, or Americus in Latin; I'm sure Marc Okrand could talk on for quite some time about Native American names for these lands.
Whether or not older names for Ireland and Scotland would probably depend in part on whether or not it would fly with the native population. Many of us would barely recognize the names our respective countries had a few centuries ago, but I don't know what the case is with Scots and Irishmen.

>>Sweden - Suverya'
>
>Our resident Swede has already commended this.

Whoo-hoo; I'm the resident something :)

For the record, I fully approve of the name. I've been using Suverye', but I can see how one could hear Suverya', and the classic -ya' ending is kind of neat :)

>>Denmark - Denmargh
Makes sense. I'd've preferred veQSep or HeSowIya', but I can see what you're going for.

*looks around for a resident Dane*
taghjaj mu'qaD veS!