[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' javmaH wej: <yIntaH>

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 24 08:33:21 PDT 2011

Qov:
> [23] I don't want to dilute or misuse the word yan, but I like the
> image of brandishing or wielding a non-weapon as if it were a sword.
> Am I being too influenced byt he way I would write it in English?

KGT 61:  There is also the verb {yan}, which means "wield or manipulate (a sword)". A swordfighter, then, would be a {yanwI'}, literally a sword wielder); the word for the specific type of sword may be, but need not be, included. It is thus proper to say {betleH yanwI'} (bat'leth wielder) or {betleH yan} (He/she wields a bat'leth).

KGT 79: ... in addition to saying {betleH yan} (He/she wields a bat'leth), one could say betleH {raQ} (He/she controls a bat'leth).

> Should I use lo' or chu' instead? Is there a special Klingon verb we
> don't know yet for "to wield (a non-weapon device)"?

KGT 79: The closest to a general term in this realm may be the verb {raQ}, which means "manipulate by hand, handle". It can be applied to carving, sculpting, metalworking, and the like but is really much less specific, referring to activities that involve having some control over some object. For example, in addition to saying {betleH yan} (He/she wields a bat'leth), one could say {betleH raQ} (He/she controls a bat'leth). By extension, the term {raQ} is also used when referring to controlling a space vessel 'manually' (that is, when the controls are manipulated directly by a person rather than a computer): {Duj raQ} (He/she controls the ship manually).

Also note the more general verb {Qach} "wield/swing (a weapon)":

KGT 63f: To wield or swing an ax is {Qach}.

KGT 67: As with axes, to wield or swing a club is {Qach}.

KGT 64: To wield or swing a club is {Qach}... To manipulate the {'aqleH} is {Qach}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons