[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Repost: Nine New Words from qep'a' 18

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:58:12 PDT 2011

Lieven:

SuStel:
>> > Why not? How is it pronounced? Is the ' silent?

Lieven:
>> Voragh's explanation gave light to my confusion:
>> Paq'batlh is just like Bat'leth. Use it as a name,
>> or as no'Hol.

SuStel:
> So it's the equivalent of "bat'telh," "dak'tagh," "gagh,"
> and "targ": a spelling by English speakers not using the
> transcription system of The Klingon Dictionary, or not
> using it correctly.

If you want to play in "Federation linguist" Okrand's universe, consider these as common 24th century Federation Standard spellings, not exact transcriptions - much as "Koran" or "Coran" are the traditional English for what is usually spelled "Qur'an" today.  (Of course, the real-life reason is the Trek writers' extreme fondness for sticking apostrophes in "alien" words and names.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons