[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' vaghmaH vagh: <taS SuQ>‏

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 08:48:44 PDT 2011

jatlh Qov:
>>> pegh, 'a pochtaHvIS lubej Sung puS.

QeS:
>> I'm not saying the usage is wrong, but to me 'op Sung would be
>> better than Sung puS here.

Felix:
> It fels a bit wrong to me, as well, but there is a canonical usage
> where *puS* seems to be used like "some":
>   pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
>   "If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break
>   a few pipiuses." [TKW]

IIRC the TKW example preceeded the revelation of {'op} in SkyBox Card 7, which is the only example of {'op} known AFAIK.

QeS:
>> Very true - well spotted.

{'op} "some, an unknown or unspecified quantity" (n.) in canon:

  'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS
  It [IKC Pagh] has... some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet. (S7)

{puS} "be few, be several, be a handful" (v.) in canon:

  pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
  If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. (TKW)

Notice that the S7 example contains both a {law'/puS} formula as well as {law'} used "adjectivally" WITHIN that formula: {tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'}!

  qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS
  Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ. (S21)

I would think that *{'op Human} would also work here.

We also have a new example of {puS} from the Klingon Monopoly game:

  veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
  Limited Edition
  ("Only a few copies have been made.") (Monopoly)

As someone who regularly deals with limited editions in his work, this implies a known number of {veymey} - at least to the publisher - even if that number isn't actually stated.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons