[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon theater terms?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 7 06:48:55 PDT 2011

Here’s what little I have in my notes on actors and theaters (including the Hamlet anecdote for  those who don't remember it):

  "{ghet} [“pretend”] and {ghetwI'} “pretender” generally do not imply deception, but simply role-playing." (HQ 12.3:8)

  "There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, of a non-Klingon actor who attempted to play the lead in the original Klingon version of Shakespeare's Hamlet but was shouted off the stage when he began the famous soliloquy by saying, {taQ pagh taQbe'} (“To be weird or not to be weird”), rather than the correct {taH pagh taHbe'} (“To be or not to be”; literally, ‘[one] continues or [one] does not continue')." (KGT 194)

  "Among other activities at the annual Kot'baval Festival, for example, the battle between Kahless and Molor is reenacted. While dueling with their bat'leths, the performers portraying Kahless, Molor, and other warriors sing traditional songs with words and grammatical forms that are archaic indeed, some not in everyday use for well over 1,000 years." (KGT 12)  There are pictures of Klingon street performers portraying Molor and Kahless at the Kot'baval Festival at the Maranga IV outpost in KGT p.12 & 116; note that they are identified as "singers" in the episode credits. (TNG "Firstborn")

*{DawI' lut}  play (n.) (TKH)

  “Modern playwrights have become obsessed with writing human interpretations of alien theatrical works while ignoring completely our own unique cultural heritage.” (Dr. Bashir, DS9 "The Die is Cast")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons