[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon theater terms?

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Oct 6 16:40:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM, David Trimboli <david at trimboli.name> wrote:
> Haha! Outlook rich text vIngeH rIntaH!

Do'Ha' veQHey ngeH Outlook-lIj.

Are you using Outlook 2002 or 2003? They apparently do RTF in a way
which is guaranteed to work properly only with other Outlook users,
and only if the message is absolutely unchanged along the way. The
text and formatting are sent in separate parts, with a file named
winmail.dat being appended to the message. Typically, a non-Outlook
client will show the existence of the attachment. Many will display
the MIME-encoded contents of the file:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0050_01CC843E.345B4FE0
>
> eJ8+IjoTAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy
> b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQOQBgCYFAAAKQAAAAsAAgABAAAAAwAmAAAAAAALACkAAAAAAAsA
> KwAAAAAAAwAuAAAAAAAeAHAAAQAAACYAAABbVGxoaW5nYW4taG9sXSBLbGluZ29uIHRoZWF0ZXIg
> [another 90-odd lines of similar stuff]

At worst, the reader will see the decoded winmail.dat file in all its
binary glory. If you want a taste of that, look at how the
tlhIngan-Hol archives present it.

While it probably looks like a complete success to you, what it looks
like to others is client-dependent. I think RTF a la Outlook is a bad
way to send email to general Internet recipients, because it bulks up
even a one-line message so much and because there's no hint on the
sender's end that it might not work as desired. Microsoft acknowledges
the problem, and their suggested resolution is to send plain text
only:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061