[Tlhingan-hol] how to use {nej}?

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 28 05:57:35 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 8:26 AM, Gaerfindel wrote:

> My instinct is to go with {ngem yInej} for "Search (in) the forest," and
> {qawHaq nej} for "Search (in) the database." "Search the catalogue for
> the book," I'd render {mem yInej 'ej paq botu'}.

<Sam> yIlIjQo'.

The given translation of {nej} is "look for, seek, search for." That
makes a strong case that the proper object of {nej} is the thing
searched for, not what you're searching through. {mem yInej} says
"search for the catalog."

For most situations, {-Daq} will do. When you're searching a physical
book, for instance, you really are looking *in* the book. {memDaq paq
pong yInej} "search for the book's name in the catalog."

If I saw {-Daq} used with something with an abstract location, like
information in a databank, I wouldn't think twice about it. Even then
the thing searched for is actually *inside* something else. {qawHaqDaq
De' vInej} "I search for the information in the databank."

Whether {nej} is used to "query" a database is a matter best left to a
Klingon informant. I wouldn't be surprised if it were; the search
metaphor is too obvious.

http://www.trimboli.name/