[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: SEEMINGLY ILLEGAL STRUCTURES

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 15:46:16 PST 2011

'ISqu':

>    According to HolQeD 6:3, pp. 5-8, the word only means to go through
>    an opening of some sort, such as an open door or a tunnel, and it
>    explicitly does not mean "to traverse" so, for instance, it cannot
>    be used to  translate such sentences as "A woman goes through a forest."
>
>    In "paq'batlh" there is a sentence that does not follow this rule,
>    unless we agree that the river flowing through Gre'thor may be
>    perceived as some kind of passageway:
>
>    The barge went through Gre'thor
>    ghe'tor vegh Duj
>    (pp 190-191)

ghe'tor vegh Duj
    Suto'vo'qor lojmItmey 'el Duj
    qeylIS vanchu'lu' 'ej naDchu'lu'

The barge went through Gre'thor
    Into the gates of Sto-vo-kor,
    Kahless was given a hero's welcome.

In context, I think it makes sense.  Gre'thor here is acting as a
passageway into Sto-vo-kor.

See also the use of {vegh} on p. 85, where it is used to describe a "cave
leading to the world beyond the living":

tu''egh qeylIS'e'
    DIS veghlu'chugh
    pa' Heghpu'bogh nuvpu' qa'pu' tu'lu'