[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Saqghom

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 23 07:18:17 PST 2011

On 11/23/2011 10:04 AM, Gaerfindel wrote:
> ghItlhpu' voragh:
>
> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, November 15, 2011
> Klingon word: Saqghom
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: landing party
>
> ghItlhpu' Steven Boozer:
>
> Never used in canon. Related verbs: {Saq} "land" (i.e. ship, bird, etc.)
>
> HQ 10.4:4: Use {Saq} if a bird alights on the ground, {tlhot} if it
> lands on the water.
> Related nouns: {Saqjan} landing gear. (KBoP) {tIjwI'ghom} boarding
> party. (TKD)
>
> {tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH} I form a boarding party. (TKD 38)
>

> mu'tlhegh'e' jIghItlhpu' jIlugh. mu'tlhegh chu jIghItlh:
>
> So then, a Klingon Marine commander might be heard to say {tlhotghom
> vIchenmoH}. I (will) form an *amphibious* landing party.

Creating a compound noun seems to be the same as lexicalizing it, and we
can't do that. Without evidence of such a word among Klingons, we would
have to write {tlhotwI' ghom} "party of water-surface landers." And that
doesn't really mean "amphibious," anyway.

Rather than create your own compound noun, you can create a noun-noun
construction, which usually has the meaning you want, and sounds
identical in speech.

http://www.trimboli.name/