[Tlhingan-hol] Number of possible syllables

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT nahqun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:46:01 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, André Müller <esperantist at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's one part of the problem. Anothern one would've been the counting of
> syllables. If Klingon were a human language, SoSoy would consist of the two
> syllables So and Soy (this is universal), but I guess some would disagree
> that this process takes place in Klingon as well, as it's not a Terran
> language. So in the end we don't know if -oy can also be a phonetical
> syllable in Klingon.
> This is why I don't take it into account in the syllable count.
>
> Further comments on the matter (the number of syllables) are appreciated.
> - André

As a child, I was taught that a syllable is the number of times you
open your mouth.
So If I put my hand under my chin and say SoS-oy; I count two.
If I say So-Soy; I also get two.

Regardless of which one I'm more likely to say, it still breaks down
to two syllables.

(Personally, I'd say SoS-oy or SoS-'oy)

~'anan naHQun

--