[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - First Words

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 4 13:47:18 PDT 2011

On 11/4/2011 4:33 PM, Qov wrote:

>> bicycle - qam Do Duj
>
> Favourite new word from the whole disk. Because I ride a bicycle more
> often than a puH Duj, because it's a simple translation of velocipede,
> and because it doesn't confirm or deny whether Klingons have bicycles.
> I'd think if you can build a warp drive you can build such an
> astonishingly efficient energy conversion device, but perhaps they never
> had good enough roads to trigger the invention.

I sometimes wonder if, in the long transition from no' Hol to various
ta' Hol, whether words for technology that was no longer in use failed
to make the transition. There may be no' Hol terms for airplanes,
bicycles, trains, and so forth that have nothing to do with Duj (or the
no' Hol word Do'), but the terms for them were simply forgotten.
Klingons may not be so attached to old words as we are, and jettison
them without concern.

http://www.trimboli.name/