[Tlhingan-hol] Beginner Story: nuq bop bom 'ay''a' wej

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Thu Nov 3 06:51:24 PDT 2011

On 11/3/2011 4:34 AM, Qov wrote:

> So I drew in breath to explain and then read it very carefully. Is Marc
> saying here that the form with tu'lu' is invariably used with the 3rd
> person singular pronoun, and then demonstrating that it is, with a third
> person plural object? Has he ever used lutu'lu'? Is it just me? Or is
> this just more proof of the fact that we always need fresh blood reading
> the same words to learn more?

We've discussed this in the past. There are a couple of possible
explanations. One is that it's a fixed expression: just add tu'lu' to
mean "there is/are." Another is that it's an example of the phenomenon
described in KGT: "Common Errors: The Case of lu-."

I have a vague notion that lutu'lu' has appeared somewhere, but it's not
in TKD or KGT, the only materials I have handy and searchable right now.

http://www.trimboli.name/