[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Colors

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Nov 1 16:37:24 PDT 2011

The ones that are new would appear to be:

Light blue - SuD 'ej wov
Gray - qIj 'ej wov
Pink - Doqqu' 'ej wov
Dark blue - SuD 'ej Hurgh

Yellow (or, rather, "a yellowish tinge") has previously been described as SuD 'ej wov or SuD 'ach wov.
Doqqu' has been used for "a color more red than orange", and SuDqu' as what "would probably be described as 'green in Federation Standard".
A particular shade of orange has previously been described as Doq 'ej beqpuj rur (Doq and resembling bekpuj).
A particular shade of brown may be described as Doq 'ej QaS wuS rur (Doq and resembling kradge lips).

Marc Okrand speculated in KGT that the fact that neither Doq nor SuD seemed to cover the color purple may reflect some physical property of Klingons and how they perceive colors.
[I've personally theorized that the Klingon visual spectrum is shifted slightly toward the infrared, and that their ships are well-lit as far as they're concerned. However, it seems many authors prefer an opposite approach; that they can't discern red, but can see some of the ultraviolet spectrum.]

Klingonska Akademien will now need to update their color reference page: http://klingonska.org/ref/color.html

-------

I'm very glad to have a canonical way to say "grey" (would chIS 'ach Hurgh refer to a lighter shade of grey, perhaps?). We also know there's a grey (sometimes white) bird called a yatqap.
Tt would've been nice if the colors that aren't differentiated between here (such as green and yellow) had been accompanied by some sort of comparison (for example, orange could have been Doq 'ej beqpuj rur, and green could have been SuD 'ej *qo'larngan rur (where *qo'larngan is the word I use for the Orion race).