[Tlhingan-hol] Pineapple [Was Re: Eurotalk - New Words - Food]

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT nahqun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:13:14 PDT 2011

Back in 2002 when I began studying Klingon, and chose my Klingon name;
I did my best to translate "god of pineapple".
I wasn't surprised to not find "pineapple" in TKD.
After all, why would Klingons have a word for an Earth fruit?

So I ended up with {naH Qun} and then squished it into a compound
proper noun; {naHQun}.

Almost a decade later, we have Klingon words for Terran fruits; yet
still no word for "pineapple".
So I asked for suggestions.

This is what y'all came up with:

'a'nanaS
payne'pIl
pan'epIl naH
payIn'epIl naH
'anan naH

At first I had assumed that we'd be starting with a "p" until I saw
http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/032011/pineapple.jpg
and realized how many languages use the same word.

And now I'm really loving variations on "ananas".
It's more universal for the planet; and it doesn't sound like
"pineapple" in English.

After looking over the other fruit terms again, I've decided to use
{*'anan naH}.

Now I just need to decide how to format my name...

~'anan naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon Translator