[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 28 07:27:37 PST 2011

On 12/28/2011 9:56 AM, De'vID jonpIn wrote:

> QeS 'utlh:
>>> I was actually trying to take a more liberal view, in the sense of aiming
>>> to respond to the "this is The One Way" attitude. I suppose the net result
>>> is a conservatism in favour of the older canon sources, though. Odd, that.
>
> SuStel:
>> I think it's a result of people making their own dictionaries and
>> collections of texts. They want to know what to write for the definition of
>> a word. This becomes somewhat exacting.
>
> bIloychu'.
>
> The reason I'm pulling the new words apart is because I'm entering
> them into my Android lexicon.
>
> We've been getting a lot of new words which we know only from their
> usage.  For example, several of the words we've gotten from EuroTalk
> are plural, but I assume that it's okay to strip the {-mey} or
> whatever when I put the entry into my lexicon (for example, I list
> {'ul 'aplo'mey} as {'ul 'aplo'}).  But in the case of something like
> {nIm wIb ngogh}, I want to make a note that it's what Klingons would
> call a lump of Terran cheese, not that that's the word for "cheese"
> (the substance).

You must remember that while *you* understand that you're just making
guesses and choosing likely options, there are many lurking on the list
who will not understand your motivations and will think that what you
come up with is *THE* correct answer, as if you're settling on an answer
the list will accept. This is especially true when people post or
comment on words of the day, which sound rather "official."

http://www.trimboli.name/