[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIj

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 10:35:46 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 16:01, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, December 26, 2011
>
> Klingon word: jIj
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: cooperate

Compare {yeq}.

TKD has "jij: cooperate (v)" in the K-E portion, and "cooperate (v):
yeq" in the E-K portion.

KGT seems to tell us about a distinction between the two; in the
description of the slang term {qang} ("always agree with [someone],
always go along with [someone], always cooperate with [someone]"), it
says:

    Nonslang equivalents of {qang},
    though lacking the negative connotation, are {reH
    Qochbe'} ("always agree"; {reH,} "always"), {reH yeq} ("al-
    ways cooperate"), and {reH jIj} ("always be cooperative").

Also, KGT's glossary has "{jIj}: be cooperative (v)" and "[be]
cooperative (v): {jIj}".

This implies that {yeq} is closer to "cooperate" and {jIj} to "be cooperative".

In my notes, I have "cooperate" for {yeq} and "cooperate, be
cooperative" for {jIj}, using the KGT definition to add to the TKD one
for {jIj} rather than supplanting it. I don't know whether that's the
closest to the truth.

Cheers,
Philip
--