[Tlhingan-hol] {Hotlh} and {ghoS}

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:30:16 PST 2011

SuStel:
> > I don't feel a strong link between scanning with a tricorder and
> > projecting something on a screen. Yes, you can put your scanned data
> > on a screen, but this doesn't seem to me a particularly strong reason
> > to assume the two words {Hotlh} are related. Maybe they are, but there's
> > not enough evidence to assume they are.

I'm not saying they're related (etymologically or whatever), I'm saying
they're easily confused.

SuStel:
> > Hoqra'lIj yIlo'; Dep yIHotlh
> > Scan the creature with your tricorder.

Why isn't this "Project the creature onscreen using your tricorder (i.e.,
project it onto the tricorder's screen)"?

SuStel:
> > nurI'chugh jaghla', yIHotlh
> > If the enemy commander hails us, put him on screen.

Why isn't this "If the enemy commander hails us, scan him"?

Voragh:
[... re-arranging to put the two {yIHotlh} together...]
> {Hotlh}  project, put on (screen):
>
>  yIHotlh
>  Put him on the screen! TKD

[... poD...]

> {Hotlh}  scan:
>
>  yIHotlh
>  Scan it! KGT

So, there's no way to differentiate between "scan it" and "put it on
screen"?

Voragh:
>  nuHotlhpu''a'
>  Have they scanned us? TKD

Again, why isn't this "Have they projected us onscreen?"  (In this example,
I agree that the provided translation is much more likely though.)

Voragh:
> {HotlhwI'}  scanner

Why not a projector (device for projecting something on a screen)?