[Tlhingan-hol] EuroTalk word for "postcard"

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 23:38:28 PST 2011

re: {ngeHmeH QIn nav}

De'vID:
> > I know the text was replaced so it doesn't really count as canon, but
> > presumably if a Klingon was asked to describe what a {QIn 'echletHom} is
> > rather than just name it, he'd say whatever the original text was, and
> > I'm curious as to whether it told us anything new about how {ngeH} is
> > used

QeS 'utlh:
> Not really. But I didn't think there was any real doubt? Doesn't it behave
> like {nob}? We have a canon example from the Message to Kronos:
>
> tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH 'e' lutul tera'nganpu'
> "[We] Terrans hope you will send Klingon warrior emissaries"

We have two canon examples for {ngeHbej} from Star Trek V... one of which
mean "cosmos". :-)

I was just curious as to whether {ngeH} can be used without an object.  In
English, you can't say "he sends" without an object (he sends what?),
although you can say "he gives" without one (e.g., "he gives generously").
How do Klingon {ngeH} and {nob} behave?

How do you parse {ngeHmeH QIn nav}?  What's the subject of {ngeH} here?  I
suppose it has the same syntactical structure as {ghojmeH taj} or {SopmeH
pa'} {HIjmeH chaw'} or {chenmoHlu'meH Daq}, none of which specify the
subject or the object of the verb, in which case {ngeHmeH QIn nav} doesn't
give us any information about the object of {ngeH} (and whether it can be
null).  OTOH I would've thought {ngeH} had to take an object (probably
because I'm influenced by the English "send"), and the fact that it wasn't
*{QIn ngeHbej nav} may suggest that {ngeH}, unlike "send", can be used
without an object.