[Tlhingan-hol] New canon from Klingon Monopoly

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 21 12:22:33 PST 2011

loghaD:
>> {verngannar} - Ferenginar (Ferengi Alliance;
>> http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ferenginar)
>> [NOTE: Some believe that this may be a typo; that it should in
>> fact be verengannar, since Ferengi is verengan.]

De'vID:
> Well, based on {verengan}, shouldn't it be *{vere} or *{veren}?
> But we know the Ferengis call it something that sounds like
> "Ferenginar" to human ears, and perhaps the same word sounds like
> {verngannar} to Klingons.  Maybe it's {verengan} that's unusual.
> Perhaps Klingons think {verngannarngan} is too long and unwieldy,
> or the presence of a {ngan} in the middle of a word ending in
> {ngan} is confusing to them (what? what's a Verian's Narian?),
> and so they shortened the word to {verengan} via some process
> that added the middle "e".

I used to think that *{vereng} was a short-form planet name in Klingon, perhaps used earlier in preference to *{verengannar}.

  verengan < ?verengngan < ?vereng + ngan

We've seen examples of such elision before:

  lIghongan < lIghonngan < lIghon + ngan

KGT 141:  A name for the inhabitant of a planet (and, therefore, the name of a race of beings) is formed by adding {ngan} (inhabitant) to the planet name (excluding the number, if any): {lIghonngan} (Ligonian) [...] (Actually, there is some phonetic variation here. Ligonian is often pronounced {lIghongan}, dropping the final {n} of {lIghon} before the initial {ng} of {ngan}. This is not considered an error, only an alternate pronunciation.)

Another example:

  vulgangan < ?vulganngan < vulqan + ngan (?)

The word {tlhIngan} itself may be a variation:

  tlhIngan < ?tlhIngngan < tlhIng + ngan (?)

N.B. There's a {tlhIng yoS} "Kling District" on Kronos.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons