[Tlhingan-hol] New canon from Klingon Monopoly

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:55:57 PST 2011

loghaD:
> My transcription; please let me know if you find any errors:
>
> **************************
> New words:
> **************************
> ... [poD] ...

majQa'!  lI'qu' De'lIj!

loghaD:
> {verngannar} - Ferenginar (Ferengi Alliance;
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ferenginar) [NOTE: Some belive that this
may be a typo; that it should in fact be verengannar, since Ferengi is
verengan.]

Well, based on {verengan}, shouldn't it be *{vere} or *{veren}?  But we
know the Ferengis call it something that sounds like "Ferenginar" to human
ears, and perhaps the same word sounds like {verngannar} to Klingons.

Maybe it's {verengan} that's unusual.  Perhaps Klingons think
{verngannarngan} is too long and unwieldy, or the presence of a {ngan} in
the middle of a word ending in {ngan} is confusing to them (what? what's a
Verian's Narian?), and so they shortened the word to {verengan} via some
process that added the middle "e".