[Tlhingan-hol] QangHom

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 15 06:52:00 PST 2011

Qov:
>>> chay' {QangHom} Damugh?

ghunchu'wI':
>> Absent context, I'd probably translate it as "Vice Chancellor". I
>> could also see it as referring to something like Chancellor-elect.

De'vID:
> I was going to say "Vice Chancellor", "Pro-Chancellor", or "Provost",
> depending on context.

I agree: "Vice Chancellor/President/Praetor", etc.  Okrand discussed a similar question of {Qel} vs. {QelHom} on startrek.klingon (Oct. 1998) with Qov and me:

  There is no single term for "nurse," as distinguished from
  physician's assistant." Voragh's suggestions ({Qel boQ}
  "doctor's aide," {HaqwI' boQ} "surgeon's aide") are fine and
  both could be used. Qov's suggestion, {QelHom}, consisting
  of {Qel} "doctor" plus the diminutive suffix {-Hom}, is also
  an acceptable form (and is an excellent illustration of the
  diminutive suffix--the word means "not quite a doctor" or
  "lesser doctor" or the like).

De'vID:
> Of course, we only know of the "political leader" meaning of {Qang},
> and there's no reason why the Klingon word for Chancellor should
> also mean "head academic official" as it does in English. From Star
> Trek VI, it seems that the Klingon Chancellor is equivalent to the
> Federation President.  So, maybe {QangHom} is the head of a planet,
> house, {Sep}, or some political division within the Klingon Empire,
> rather than of the entire thing?

There's {DevwI'} "leader", used in {yejquv DevwI'} "Leader of the High Council".  Using that as a model I've always translated "head of House" or *epetai* as *{tuq DevwI'}.

*{che'wI'} "ruler" is another option from {che'} "rule, reign, run, preside":

  DaH che' ghawran. yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho'
   'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron currently presides, named leader of the High Council by
   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

  qIb boche'meH qeylIS HoS bolo' 'ej SuvwI' vaSDaq boquvmoHlu'.
  Control the Galaxy with the might of Kahless and be immortalized
   in the Hall of Warriors. MKE

And don't forget {qumwI'} "governor" for head of a planet, colony, province, etc.  It's never been used in a sentence, but here are some Klingon examples from Trek:

  "I am Kor, military governor of Organia." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  In 2267 Klingon agent Krell was grooming Apella of the village people of Neural to be "a governor in the Klingon Empire". (TOS "A Private Little War")

  General K'Vagh was the military governor of Qu'Vat Colony and in charge of the genetics research facility there. (ENT "Affliction" & "Divergence")

  Worf's father, Mogh, was governor of the Khitomer Outpost when it was attacked by Romulans. (TNG "Sins of the Father")

  The IKC Qu'Vat, carrying Governor Torak, rendezvoused with the Enterprise-D in 2369 at Relay Station 47. (TNG "Aquiel")  I don't remember what planet or sector he was governor of being mentioned.

  In an alternate future, Worf is a governor of an obscure Klingon planet. (TNG "All Good Things...")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons