[Tlhingan-hol] QangHom

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 04:13:50 PST 2011

Qov:
> > chay' {QangHom} Damugh?

ghunchu'wI':
> Absent context, I'd probably translate it as "Vice Chancellor". I
> could also see it as referring to something like Chancellor-elect.

I was going to say "Vice Chancellor", "Pro-Chancellor", or "Provost",
depending on context.

Of course, we only know of the "political leader" meaning of {Qang}, and
there's no reason why the Klingon word for Chancellor should also mean
"head academic official" as it does in English.  From Star Trek VI, it
seems that the Klingon Chancellor is equivalent to the Federation
President.  So, maybe {QangHom} is the head of a planet, house, {Sep}, or
some political division within the Klingon Empire, rather than of the
entire thing?