[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yov

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:02:52 PST 2011

 Voragh:
>> There's also the verb {Huj} "charge (up)".  Some think this means
>> charge in the electrical sense, but Okrand has AFAIK never commented
>> on this verb nor used it in a sentence.  If this is what he had in
>> mind, it seems to duplicate the verb {rIH} "energize".  Perhaps
>> something to do with charging (adding energy) to a battery, phaser,
>> etc.?

De'vID:
> Speaking as a {jonpIn} {{:-) "to charge (up)" and "to energize" are
> not at all the same thing!  To charge up is to store energy in a
> battery, whereas to energize is to release that energy into a device
> or in some other usable form.  That is, one charges up ({Huj}) the
> transporter's battery packs (or whatever Treknology is used to store
> energy), perhaps at a space dock, so that it can be ready for use;

Another example:

  "Do you think I would be foolish enough to give you a charged
   phaser?"  (Garth to Kirk, TOS "Whom Gods Destroy")

> when one wants to use it, one then energizes ({rIH}) the transporter
> beam.

Aha, IOW "power up" or "initialize".  Then you would activate {chu'} the transporter, qar'a'?   "Energize" was used in Trek quite a bit; e.g.:

  The Enterprise's warp engines were "re-calibrated and
  re-energized"  (TOS "Tomorrow is Yesterday")

  Lazarus's ship took ten minutes to "re-energize" two of the
  Enterprise's drained dilithium crystals he stole.
   (TOS "The Alternative Factor")

> I believe these words may have been intended to translate the
> following lines from Star Trek III:
>
> Torg (after his ship is hit, trying to arm the emergency torpedo
> tube): "Emergency power re-charge ({Huj}) is 40 percent."

majQa'!  We think alike:  When words in the main body of TKD are ambiguous or otherwise confusing, I try to find the line in ST3 spoken by Klingons that Okrand may have been trying to translate.

> Kirk (about to transport off his ship): "We are energizing ({rIH})
> transporter beam... now."

The famous "Energize!" as a command to activate the transporter.  This usage seems to be just a synonym for {chu'} "activate".  Here's another line from ST3:

  matlh, jol yIchu'!
  Maltz--activate beam!

which appears in TKD as

  jol yIchu'
  Activate the transport beam!

BTW there's yet another verb {laQ} "energize, fire (e.g. thrusters)":

  chuyDaH yIlaQ
  Fire the thrusters! TKD

  muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
  Atmospheric Take-Off/Landing Thrusters - 6. KBoP

Thanks De'vID, this was very helpful.  Another ambiguity finally solved I think.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons