[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QoD

Terrence Donnelly terrence.donnelly at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 11 09:46:26 PST 2011

I was just reading some excerpts from Mark Twain's "Life On the Mississippi", in which he writes of learning to be a steamboat pilot. He describes several times when the boat is "steered" by changing the speed and direction of the side paddlewheels independently of each other. Maybe {QoD} refers to operating different engine banks to steer the ship. On steamboats, these seemed to be extreme sorts of maneuvers, eg. to avoid a sudden blockage in the water, and not your normal steering by the rudder.

-- ter'eS