[Tlhingan-hol] list of inherent plurals

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 7 06:35:22 PST 2011

On 12/7/2011 9:25 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> De'vID:
>>> How does one use {chuvmey} or {paSlogh}?  Do they take plural or
>>> singular prefixes?
>
> Other examples are {cha''etlh pe'wI'} "scissors" and {mIn QanwI'
> nguv} "sunglasses" from TalkNow!  Neither appeared in a sentence
> AFAIK.

These are plural English words describing a singular thing. The Klingon
phrases are just as singular as the objects themselves. It's English
that is odd here, not Klingon.

>>> I think you know what I meant: does a verb takes a plural or
>>> singular prefix when I use them with these nouns? :-p

jIqIDpu' neH.

> nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD
>
> Note: {waqwIj} (singular) = "my shoes" (plural).  Unless this is an
> error for {waqmeywIj}, it's possible that here {waq} is behaving as a
> collective noun; after all, who gets only one shoe cleaned?

Since the plural suffix is (almost) always optional, there is no error
here. There is also no question about what this means: whether you're
getting one shoe cleaned or two, you're asking where to have it done,
not detailing how many shoes you want cleaned.

http://www.trimboli.name/