[Tlhingan-hol] list of inherent plurals

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 7 06:25:36 PST 2011

De'vID:
>> How does one use {chuvmey} or {paSlogh}?  Do they take plural or
>> singular prefixes?

Other examples are {cha''etlh pe'wI'} "scissors" and {mIn QanwI' nguv} "sunglasses" from TalkNow!  Neither appeared in a sentence AFAIK.

>> I think you know what I meant: does a verb takes a plural or
>> singular prefix when I use them with these nouns? :-p

AFAIK, neither have been used in a Klingon sentence.  {chuvmey} has only been used in an English description, apparently as a regular plural noun:

TKD 51:  By far the bulk of Klingon words are nouns and verbs. There are a few others which, probably as an expedient, Klingon grammarians lump together in a group called {chuvmey} "leftovers". It is possible to classify the {chuvmey} some-what.

I then thought of other items which naturally come in pairs (e.g. {DaS}, {pogh}, {waq}) and found this example:

  nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
  Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD

Note: {waqwIj} (singular) = "my shoes" (plural).  Unless this is an error for {waqmeywIj}, it's possible that here {waq} is behaving as a collective noun; after all, who gets only one shoe cleaned?

Unfortunately, this doesn't answer De'vID's question, as {vI-} "I [do something to] him/her/it/them" is used with both singular and plural objects.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons