[Tlhingan-hol] tlhIngan Monopoly vISuq rIntaH!

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:39:30 PST 2011

ghItlhpu' André, jatlh:
> The English line is "Where can I hire a car?". So the official canon
> English alternative translation is "to hire".

jang SuStel, jatlh:
> Ooh, yuck. That's not the "official canon English alternative
> translation" of {ngIp}. Let's not get so caught up in "official" that we
> lose sight of the big picture.

Indeed.

taH:
> {nuqDaq puH Duj vIngIp} is how Okrand chose to translate "where can I
> hire a car?" It's not marked as being the only way to say it, or the
> most correct way to say it. It's just a way to express approximately the
> same idea. Translations like this may be canonical, but that doesn't
> make them official, exact, or exclusive.

This is actually one of the reasons why I like the phrases from TalkNow!.
The sense I get from them is *not* that they're supposed to be The One And
Only Way to say these things, but that they show Klingon has *no* specific
words for these concepts and so they have to be described in phrases or in
circumlocutions. For sure, there are some interesting usages in there that
we can use as a base, but at the same time I get the sense it's implicitly
saying that we can still use the other options we've come up with over the
years. Which is nice.

QeS 'utlh