[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE OF SOMETHING

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Dec 4 18:56:21 PST 2011

At 18:11 04/12/2011, David Trimboli wrote:

>>>lexicalised),
>>
>>I've never been quite comfortable with that one as fully lexicalized,
>>despite my desire to use it to say "Tor and Kruge discussed the warp
>>drive," I always write something like {ja'chuq tor Qugh je. pIvghor
>>luqel}. I always use it as though it were simply ja' + -chuq but I think
>>I am accepting enough of people interpreting that differently that I
>>might accept some other ways without comment.
>
>Yeah, I get it when I see it, but I don't believe it. I'm also not
>fond of using {qel} here, because I believe as "consider" it means
>"ponder," not "bring up a subject." I don't think it's absolutely
>*wrong*; I just don't feel it's the right verb. I picture two
>Klingons saying a word, then turning away and scratching their
>beards while thought-clouds appear above their heads.

Using {qel} for the topic of a conversation that way is definitely a
case of "it ain't much baby but it's all we got."   There's the most
recent bop, but that can also be very awkward to use as required.

>A better approach is to explain *why* you're talking. For instance,
>{pIvghor tI'meH ja'chuq tor Qugh je} "Tor and Kruge confer in order
>to fix the warp drive."

Your suggestion is excellent for this case. I'm going to pull up a
bunch of times I've used {qel} lately, to see how often I do that.

"wej wen vIqel," jatlh.  [One speaker misunderstood a reference and
this one was pointing out that she was considering three months ago,
not last week.]

"naDev DIqelbe'. tugh maghomqa'."  - i.e. let's not talk about those here.

"HanDogh laghmeH mIwmey qelmeH ghoH ngaH Qoreq je." -- mu'tlheghvetlh
vIqelDI' {qelmeH} vIchoH. DaH {wIvmeH} vIlo'.

"batlh qelDI' tlhIngan, lumbe'."  - That's a vIttlhegh, so that stays as it is.

"no'raj boqelmeH nItlhap'a'?"  - "Did they take you to compare family trees?"

Hoch nuHmeywIj Daqelchu'be'ta' - another proverb reference.

HoH ngugh 'e' luqellaw' - "at the time they appeared to be
considering killing her"

QuS qelbe'taH - "he wasn't contemplating a conspiracy"

wej yaS wa'DIch chu' qelqu'ta'. - "he hadn't yet really considered a
new first officer"

Hoch Qu'mey tIqel. batlhHa''a' wa' - "consider all the missions. Was
there a dishonourable one?"

qeSlIj vIqel. - "I will take your advice into account."

SaHchugh yuQ Hov luSpet ghap tlham vIqelnIS. - navigational
discussion "I have to take gravity into account."

Good exercise. I changed a few qelmey to poj and chov. I thought
there would be an overwhelming number of times I used it to mean
"talk about" but I usually mean it more in the beard-scratching sense.

By the way, I've been referring to my nuq bop bom story a lot lately,
and I'm not meaning it as any kind of authoritative reference, it's
just a) what's on my mind and b) an source of
uncontrived-for-the-situation examples of how I use words: what I do
as opposed to what I think.

- Qov