[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE OF SOMETHING

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sun Dec 4 18:11:30 PST 2011

On 12/4/2011 8:00 PM, Qov wrote:

>> >I think {ja'chuq} is considered a verb on its own (it's been
>> lexicalised),
>
> I've never been quite comfortable with that one as fully lexicalized,
> despite my desire to use it to say "Tor and Kruge discussed the warp
> drive," I always write something like {ja'chuq tor Qugh je. pIvghor
> luqel}. I always use it as though it were simply ja' + -chuq but I think
> I am accepting enough of people interpreting that differently that I
> might accept some other ways without comment.

Yeah, I get it when I see it, but I don't believe it. I'm also not fond
of using {qel} here, because I believe as "consider" it means "ponder,"
not "bring up a subject." I don't think it's absolutely *wrong*; I just
don't feel it's the right verb. I picture two Klingons saying a word,
then turning away and scratching their beards while thought-clouds
appear above their heads.

A better approach is to explain *why* you're talking. For instance,
{pIvghor tI'meH ja'chuq tor Qugh je} "Tor and Kruge confer in order to
fix the warp drive."

http://www.trimboli.name/