[Tlhingan-hol] Unmissable

Lucifuge Rofocale fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 17:04:40 PST 2011

As President of a local SF & Fantasy Readers Club, we pick a book to read each month, usually focusing on a specific theme or author. This month, the last meeting of 2011 carried the theme "The Unmissables." That one book, above all others, that you would take with you if you got marooned on a desert island.

I selected, and had to defend, TKD.

My choice came under unwarranted levels of scorn from someone who clearly had no idea that we'd picked the theme to reflect those books we could truly not do without. Given the choice between TKD, H P Lovecraft's "The Haunter Of The Dark And Other Weird Tales" and Larry Niven's "Ringworld," though ... for me, TKD wins out every time.

In all the years I have owned copies of TKD, from the very earliest copy of paq SuD to the paq chIS and the two sequels on my shelf, the tapes, merch and (soon) Klingon Monopoly and EuroTalk, a copy of TKD has never been far from me, and I have never been bored by its contents.

As soon as I write up a more detailed and impassioned defence of this lovely book, I will post a permalink to the blog entry.