[Tlhingan-hol] Choose the Right

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:03:03 PDT 2016

Reviving this thread from 2012 because it came up again.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> ~'anan naHQun:
>> Several years ago, when I was still new to the language; I tried to
>> translate the phrase "Choose the Right".
>>    [...]
>> The phrase means "choose the right choice (not the wrong one)".
>>    [...]
>> But I think {batlh wIv} "choose honorably" captures the flavor more.
>
> Agreed.  Like the original it too has a double meaning: "choose honor" and "choose honorably" which to a Klingon warrior is always the right choice.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

>bom DaDelbogh vISovbe', 'ach chovnatlh Damuchbogh vIlaj. latlh vIchup: <quv yIwIv>.
>
>SuStel

There is a store selling Klingon CTR rings:
https://ldsbookstore.com/klingon-choose-the-right-ring-wide

but they are clearly wrong, and I need to make sure I provide them
with an accurate translation.

CTR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_the_right

which comes from this hymn:
https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/choose-the-right?lang=eng

I've sent them a few messages, this is the most recent reply

Thank you for your follow up email, it helped clarify your concern
with the Klingon Choose The Right ring. I are working on correct the
error between the narrow and wide rings. As far as the translation
goes, because there is no official translation of "choose the right"
we hesitate to change the wording and structure of the phrase. We are
open to translating the phrase directly into Klingon, Ex: "Choose the
right" translates to "leghlaHbe' wutlh", which would then be written
in Klingon characters. Please let let me know your thoughts.

Obviously, Bing was used for this last one.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions?

~naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.