[Tlhingan-hol] vIghro' chuS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 20 09:28:17 PDT 2016

QeS 'utlh:
> > Do'Ha'qu', tunmo' vIghro'wIj 'ej ghunmo'.

Qunnoq:
> please someone tell me that the {Do'Ha'qu'} is a verb, because if it is
> the adverb {Do'Ha'} with the {-qu'} attached, I will explode !

It is and QeS is using it as an exclamation with "no overt subject": i.e. "That's quite unfortunate."  E.g.

(KGT 155):  Often, the word is used with no overt subject, as if an exclamation: {natlh} ("It is objectionable," or "That is shameful"; literally, "It consumes"). Nonslang counterparts, none of which carries the impact of {natlh}, might be {quv Hutlh} (lack honor), {qab} (be bad), or {Do'Ha'} (be unfortunate). voice disapproval."

(KGT 164f.):  {SaS} is also used as an exclamation to express disapproval, comparable to the standard {Do'Ha'} (unfortunate). For example, upon hearing that a ship has been destroyed, one may say simply {SaS} (literally, "horizontal" but suggesting "That's bad, that's unfortunate").

Do'  		be fortunate, be lucky (v)

  maDo'choH
  We are becoming lucky.
  We are undergoing a turn of luck. TKD

  bach Do', qaH
  A lucky shot, sir... ST3

  maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'
  If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

Do'Ha'  	be unfortunate, be unlucky (v)

  Do'Ha'
  [It is] Unfortunate. ST3

  De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'
  Knowledge of useful information may be unfortunate. PK

  DaDo'Ha'moHlu'
  You've been made unlucky.
  Someone/something causes you to be unlucky). KGT

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'