[Tlhingan-hol] BBC segment on Klingon and copyright

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:04:07 PDT 2016

On 13 May 2016 at 10:02, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't listened to this yet but I'm told Marc Okrand is interviewed:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tzgb0
>
> (h/t qurgh)

The Klingon segment begins at 42:35.

The Marc Okrand interview begins at 47:54.

I just gave it a listen and wrote down what I heard. The BBC host and
Marc Okrand have a "conversation" in Klingon. The host's pronunciation
wasn't bad, he flubbed a few things but I understood him.

Does anyone know if Marc Okrand translated the "interview"? The host
says afterwards he was "instructed by Marc" for the interview, so it
sounds that way.

Here's my transcript of the interview. Each speaker repeats the
sentence in English after the Klingon.

BBC: tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh vIneH. ngeD'a'? [The host mispronounces
{Hol} as {HoD/Hoj}.]
(So, Marc, is Klingon an easy language to speak?)

MO: Ha (a laugh)... tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh. ngeDqu'.
(I'm speaking Klingon. It's very easy.)

BBC: jum'a'? Hol ngeb 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e'.
(But isn't it odd to learn a pretend language?)

MO: ghobe'. Hol teH 'oH.
(No, Klingon is a true language.)

BBC: tlhIngan Hol bIjatlhDI' bIDogh'a'?
(Didn't you end up feeling just a bit silly?)

MO: ghobe'. tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI' jIval.
(No. When I speak Klingon, I'm obviously smart.)