[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 9 07:24:09 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 09, 2016
>
> Klingon word: Qagh
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: err, be mistaken, make a mistake

  Qagh yaS wa'DIch
  The first officer errs. KGT

  jIQaghpu'
  I have made a mistake. KGT

Qagh  	error,  mistake (n)

  QaghwIj vIQIj 'e' yIchaw'neS
  Permit me to explain my mistake, your Honor. PK

  QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH
  Have the courage to admit your mistakes. TKW

QaghHom  	minor error (n)

  QaghHommeyHeylIjmo'
  due to your apparent minor errors TKD

Qagh'a'  	major blunder (n)

IDIOMS:
 (KGT 120):  This idiomatic expression [i.e. {bIQ ngaS HIvje'} "The cup contains water"] means "be quite mistaken, be totally wrong".

(KGT 145):  [{bachHa'}] literally means something like "mis-shoot? -- that is, shoot wrongly. It is used in such constructions as {jIbachHa'pu'} ("I have made a mistake"; literally, "I have mis-shot"). The standard word meaning "err, make a mistake" is {Qagh}, as in {jIQaghpu'} ("I have make a mistake").

SEE ALSO:
muj 		be wrong (v)
lughbe' 	not be right, not be correct (v)
qarbe'	not be accurate (v)
Duy' 		be defective (v)

Duy' 		defect (n)
Qugh 		disaster (n)