[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon takeover of Canada Post

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon May 2 19:20:57 PDT 2016

Some background: the person Canada Post contacted for this was Joey, a PhD student in Calgary who has gotten some press lately for "speaking Klingon" even though he's a beginner. I reached out to him after an interview he did on CBC, and have been coaching him. He was volunteering at the con and did a couple of presentations. Canada Post initially sent a script not unlike the legal brief that's being passed around: mostly English and peppered with Klingon idioms that they themselves had pulled out of some reference. I corrected all the I/l errors and mis-capitalization errors, and expressed disappointment that there wasn't anything more challenging to do.  Then the day before the event, they suddenly wanted more Klingon.  Joey made a stab at it, so what was eventually used was more my corrections of his work than my original work. He got no pronunciation coaching, but he's a linguist, so I expected him not to do too badly.  I haven't had a chance to listen to him mangle ghoHoHQo' yet.  I laughed at him when I realized he was going to have to say that.

Even when they aren't necessarily the very best thing to say, I like the use of idioms in applications like this, because the vast majority of people who "speak Klingon" know only phrases like these, so let them hear something they know and understand, and know that it is Klingon. I'm very glad we were able to include more than that, to let them know that there is more.

- Qov