[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hun

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 2 10:20:04 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 02, 2016
>
> Klingon word: Hun
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: /Khrun/, type of animal
> Source: Email from ghunchu'wI' to the KLI's email discussion group on 22
> August 2011

  nom leng Hun nom lengqu' lut
  Stories travel faster than a *khrun* (PB 130-131)

 (ghunchu'wI', 8/21/11):  I didn't read that section of the opera myself, but I think I heard someone say it was a fast animal. The *khrun* is described in other resources as a Klingon riding animal. Note: this isn't the way we saw it in the draft of the opera. After being reminded that the name of the animal had been given a tlhIngan Hol rendering in Keith DeCandido's book _A Burning House_, Marc Okrand decided to use the already published spelling.

(Marc Okrand to ghunchu'wI', 8/21/11):  Thanks for the note about *khrun*. I have no idea where that spelling came from, but I think I'll go along with Keith DeCandido's book [A Burning House] and use {Hun} (not *{'IHrun} as the Klingon version. A while back, I provided Keith with some Klingon words for a novel he was working on, but I honestly don't remember this one. Nevertheless, {Hun} it is.

"A riding beast." (Klingon Empire: A Burning House [KEBH])

SEE ALSO OTHER KLINGON RIDING BEASTS:
Sargh 		*sark* (cf. TNG "Pen Pals"; = *s'tarahk*? [Kahless (novel)])
tlhonghaD 		*klongat* (cf. KEBH & Honor Bound [novels])
*mInHor (?)	*minn'hor*  (cf. Kahless [novel])

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'