[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tuqjIjQa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 31 07:19:02 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, March 31, 2016
>
> Klingon word: tuqjIjQa'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: United Kingdom
> Source: TalkNow - Learn Klingon!, revealed 30 September 2011

(MO to qurgh [date?]):  Finally, for UK--You're right. I had forgotten about {wo' tay'}. I think, though, for the [TalkNow] CD, we should stick with {tuqjIjQa'}. If someone should ask why there are two names for the same country, I'd say that (1) it's not impossible for one country to be referred to (especially in a language/culture not of that country) by more than one name (Holland/Netherlands, for example), and (2) {wo' tay'} is an older name -- perhaps the Klingons who gave it that name were thinking of the British Empire.

  wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
  We are U.K. Klingons! (Radio Times)

As to how it's used, we have a Cardassian example:

  qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
  Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union. (MKE)

{jIj} is a verb meaning "be cooperative (KGT), cooperate (TKD):
   tuqjIjQa' 			United Kingdom (TNK)
   yuQjIjDIvI' 			United Federation of Planets (TKD)
   yuQjIjQa' 			United Federation of Planets (TKD)
   'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa' 	United States of America (TNK)

*{Qa'} appears to be a bound morpheme meaning "political union (more or less permanent?):
   qarDaSQa' 			Cardassian Union (MKE)
   tuqjIjQa' 			United Kingdom (TNK)
   yuQjIjQa' 			United Federation of Planets (TKD)
   'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa' 	United States of America (TNK)

SEE ALSO:
boq 			alliance, block, coalition (temporary?) (n)
DIvI' 		federation, organization, association, league (n)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'