[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QuQ

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 10:58:06 PDT 2016

There’s a joke pointing out the different meanings of “only” in English, and the way that word placement is so flexible and alters meaning.

Start with the sentence:

I hit the baby in the head.

Now, add the word “only” in each location it could be placed. There are a couple of redundant meanings, but most of them are unique:

Only I hit the baby in the head. (Nobody did it but me.)

I only hit the baby in the head. (Don’t make a fuss over it. It’s not that big of a deal.)

I hit only the baby in the head. (I didn’t hit anybody else in the head.)

I hit the only baby in the head. (There wasn’t more than one baby.)

I hit the baby only in the head. (I didn’t hit the baby anywhere else.)

I hit the baby in only the head. (This is the strange one, hard to parse. Maybe I hit it out everywhere else?)

I hit the baby in the only head. (Nothing in the room had a head, except the baby, and it only had one of them.)

I hit the baby in the head only. (I didn’t hit the baby anywhere else.)

So, don’t feel too bad about not completely understanding “only” as a person for whom English is not a primary language.

This joke is not NEARLY as funny in Klingon...

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv